Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Las Cataratas del Iguazú!

Sorry I haven't been posting much, I've been so busy! Everything I saw this weekend was BEAUTIFUL! I'm still amazed by it all. Friday we got to the bus station at 6:30 and the bus left at 7. It was just a normal greyhound type bus that we had to take to Santa Fe (2 hours) and then we would get our bus with seats that turned into beds! We got dinner on the second bus almost as soon as we got on! After I ate I passed out and slept for most of the trip! I slept through breakfast and we arrived somewhere between 12 and 12:30. Marya and I checked into our Hostel/Hotel, we didn't want to stay in the cheap hostel that everyone else was staying in so we thought it was a hotel that we booked but it was actually a nice hostel!! It was nice! We showered and went to have lunch with everyone. We found out that the others ate without us so we got empenadas with Marcos and headed to the Tres Fronteras! It's the most northern part of Argentina and you can see Paraguay and Brazil from there! We couldn't go into either other country like Marcos had originally thought because US citizens need visas. Honestly, just being there and seeing them both was good enough for me! We did some shopping and took pictures and then headed back into town to have dinner with the others! After dinner Marya and I headed back to our hotel to get some sleep. We got up at 8 Sunday morning and had breakfast. We walked across the street and took the bus to the falls! We walked in around 9:45 and there were many cute little gift shops and homemade crafts people were selling. We walked through the store part to a train that took us to La Garganta del Diablo, the Throat of the Devil! It was basically a giant black hole of waterfall, haha! There was so much water and we were so close to it all!!! I'm pretty sure that was the biggest fall (fall is salto en Spanish) there but don't quote me on that. We spent a lot of time walking up there, taking pictures, and walking back so by the time we took the train back down to the main area it was some time after 1. We went to the food area and got lunch and then hit the other trails in the park. First we did the Superior Trail, walking around the top of the waterfalls! It was all so beautiful! Then we did the Inferior Trail and were at the bottom of everything! When we got through majority of the Inferior Trail we decided to do a boat ride, it took us right into the bottom of the falls! I was SOAKED but it was totally worth it because of how much fun it was! After the boat we finished the rest of the Inferior Trail and started to head towards the exit. While we were walking through the park we saw so many animals! Las coaties were everywhere, they look like raccoons but I think they're more cute. If you've seen the movie Elf, I'm not sure why I associate with you if you haven't, remember the part when Buddy goes up to the raccoon and asks it if it needs a hug? Well, Eddie was doing that and it was hilarious! He didn't get attacked like in Elf though. One of them did climb halfway up Cody's leg trying to get his alfajor after lunch! I also saw monkeys, different types of birds, and a toucan!! We got out of the park and did some shopping and then took the bus back. We got off at our hotel and picked up our stuff and headed into town to meet up with everyone. We grabbed some food and went to the bus station. The bus came right on time, but was definitely not as nice as the one we took to Iguazu. Dinner on the bus wasn't that great so it was a good thing I ate before! They had no movies, what kind of bus for 16 hours has no movies? So I went right to sleep and slept through breakfast again! Lunch was not so great either and so I went back to sleep until we arrived in Rosario. We were starving when we got here so we went and got some food and then came home. I worked on some homework and then at 10:15 Mama Maria's friends came over for dinner. We had chicken and rice and then chocolate fondu for dessert!!! It was sooo yummy!
Today we had classes and we talked about the falls and everything we did in Graciela's class! Then we got to watch Stef's video of her skydiving since she didn't come to Iguazu! It looked really cool, I wish I had time to do that while I'm here!!! After classes I had lunch with Marya and Stef at Gran Vie, our favorite restaurant. After lunch I came home and took a nap and now here I am FINALLY updating my blog. I'm not sure how much time I will have to blog the next few days, I'll try to do one a day but it's my last week here. I can't believe how fast time has gone by and how upset I get just thinking about having to leave!! I have SO many things I need to do still. I also still have a final paper that I need to get working on, I'm not very happy about that. So much to do, so little time. Sorry all, but I really don't want to come home!!!

Here are some pictures from Iguazú this weekend!



 The pool at our hotel!



Back of the hotel.




Iguazú, one of the New 7 Wonders of the World!


The sun setting over Paraguay!



 Standing in Argentina.
Paraguay to the left, Brazil to the right!

Most northern part of Argentina!


Tres Fronteras!


Map of Iguazú!

The trail to the Garganta del Diablo!!



Walking on top of water


The mist above the trees from the Garganta del Diablo!



Garganta del Diablo!


Me!



Standing right over top of it....





All the students who went to Iguazú at the Garganta del Diablo



A cool looking bird

Falls from the Superior Trail







Our coatie friend



 Falls from the Inferior Trail!


At the bottom of one of the falls!




 Sun going down while we were leaving!



No comments:

Post a Comment