Saturday, June 2, 2012

I know I posted on Thursday but I feel like I haven't told people things in days! Thursday night we all met at UCEL and we were going to go to that party for the Shenandoah kids but some of the ambassadors weren't going anymore. Half of our group decided to go to the party and the others, myself included, decided to go elsewhere. We went to this place....I can't remember the name but if anyone has been to Pickles and Chips in North Wilmington it reminded me of the setup there except bigger. They only sell alcohol, soda and chips/snacks. It's a lot cheaper to go to those kinds of places instead of the bars and you never buy drinks at the boliches because they're even more expensive. The ambassadors and people from Simpson College, the kids who have been here since March, automatically got 6 bottles of Fernet. Fernet is a big deal here, it was originally used as a paint thinner but someone had the brilliant idea to make it into an alcoholic beverage. Let me tell you, it tastes awful. They mix it with coke but it is the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. The ambassadors kept telling me, "Don't worry by the time you leave you'll love it and be used to it" but I don't think I ever will be! We were there for a while and everyone was just hanging out, it was a lot of fun! Then we went to a boliche, which is basically a "disco" you go there to dance! It was really cool and there were soooo many people! There was even a pool outside but its technically winter here so people don't swim in it. I left to go home at 4am.....which to my surprise was early according to Belu and Paula, two of my ambassador friends. They kept telling me not to leave and we'd leave at 530, go get breakfast and then take a two hour nap or something before class at 11. That didn't happen. People here always stay out until around 6 and then go get breakfast or coffee together and then sleep or just go straight to school if they have an early class. I don't know how they do it! Anyway I was so tired so we took a taxi home with Nathan, one of the boys from Simpson, because we wanted a guy to be with us in the taxi! I got up at 10 and Mamma Maria had breakfast waiting for me, some milk, a piece of bread and a fruit cake thing. Oh and milk here comes in a package, it reminds me of the bag boxed wine comes in! I walked to UCEL and had my first class! It was good but I was muy cansada (very tired). There's only 5 of us in that class because our professor that came from WCU with us is teaching it. We were about to leave UCEL when I saw Belu and Addi, an ambassador and a girl from Simpson, and the kids from Shenandoah were having their "graduation" ceremony so we waited for them and then went to a restaurant with them, their professors, Eliana and Melina. It was the same restaurant we had our welcome lunch at, I think the university has some type of deal with them, but I got a chicken dish this time and it was really good! I then had my other class which I think is going to be more difficult. The girls from Simpson told me the professor is so nice but she's really hard to understand, which is what I'm worried about. We then went shopping and Nicole and I got the CUTEST rings! An older couple makes them and then sells them on the side of one of the avenues! And the best part is, they were only 5 pesos each. I spent 10 pesos on two beautiful rings which equals about $2.27 in American dollars! We came home and had some really good beef dinner, potatoes and rice. But here's the thing, mayo here is like ketchup in the states. They put it on everything so the rice was coated in mayo and I hate mayo. I did my best to eat it all, every dinner we have a piece of bread with it so I was basically shoveling the bread into my mouth after a bite of rice, it was gross. Anyway so after we met at UCEL and went to a bar and then to a boliche again. This boliche was an 80's boliche, there was a live band and everything. I was surprised by the amount of songs from the states they were playing! We got home this morning around 5:30 and I slept until 1. I said it before, I'm not gonna be able to keep up with everyone!!! I don't know how they do it! Some of the WCU kids and I went out to lunch at a restaurant at 2 and then walked around. I was going to take a nap but my host mom is taking Nicole and I to the river for some event tonight. Then we're having dinner, then we're going to the bar and boliche again......I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY DO IT!!!! Haha! I will put up some pictures tomorrow for sure!

2 comments:

  1. You must be sooooo tired!!! Don't they stay home and watch TV??? :) Glad you are having fun. Can't wait to read the next post!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, I've only watched TV once since I've been here......and it was some dramatic thing that they spoke so fast in and i didn't understand so i went to bed :) SKYPE ME SOON! miss you<3

    ReplyDelete