Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My dead laptop is now charged!!!

HOLA! This is gonna be a long one catching y'all up so get ready!!!
The past few days have been pretty hectic. I have a macbook and it has a large obnoxious charger and then there is a little adapter for it to be the smaller charger. All through the school year I've kept that little adapter in my backpack but when I was cleaning out my backpack for Argentina guess what I forgot? Yup. My laptop has been dead since Sunday night but thankfully one of the girls on the trip had chargers for her iPhone, iPad, and macbook so she could share one.
To recap a little....Saturday we had a free day. We went and toured the Casa Rosada, the President's pink house. She doesn't actually live there anymore, but she does work there so you are able to tour it on the weekends. Then we went back to check out the Cathedral and there was a mass starting!!! One of the girls and I decided to go. I went to mass at the Pope's church...I still can't really believe it. It was surreal sitting there listening to mass in Spanish, let alone being where the Pope is from. Then we continued shopping and walking around. We of course took a siesta and went out to dinner at a really good Italian restaurant. Then Martin and Juan Francisco came and meet up with us! We went to a bar and just hung out. Sunday we woke up early to hit the San Telmo street market. I bought myself a cute bracelet but our shopping was cut short when one of the girls I was with was robbed. We ended up going back to the hotel to find out that another girl had her iPod stolen, too. It's a terrible thing but it was a good wake up call for everyone. We're not in safe little West Chester anymore and everyone needs to keep their eyes open. Thankfully, yesterday the girl who's wallet was stolen got a facebook message from someone who found her wallet in the street outside of the hotel he works at. I'm assuming that when whoever stole her wallet realized she was American and that they wouldn't be able to use her credit cards without her passport they just took the 400 pesos ($40 US). Around 2pm we headed to Rosario to meet the families! Everyone was so nervous and I was just sitting there thinking about all the things I couldn't wait to do and how I couldn't wait to see Pau and Belu. As soon as we got off the bus I saw Melina, one of the women in charge of the International Relations programs. I was so excited to see her because she was great to talk to last time. Eliana doesn't work here anymore because she had a baby! I'm living with Mama Maria again and I didn't realize I'd have a roommate, let alone two! There is a girl living here from Mendoza who is family friends with Maria Jose so she is living here while she works! Also, there is a girl from this year's Simpson College group. For those of you who followed my blog in 2012, I was very good friends with the people from Simpson. They have been here since March and will leave a week before us. Sunday night we had a cake with dulce de leche and Merrick from the West Chester group came over because his host mom is good friends with mine. For dinner we had a rice dish, I think there was tuna in it which I'm not a big fan of haha. Monday morning I had breakfast with Belu and Pau because Belu is leaving for the states today to visit Nelson, her boyfriend. After, we had orientation at UCEL. We met some of the ambassadors but there aren't as many as when I was here in 2012. The economy is really bad here so not many students have been studying abroad from UCEL, therefore there aren't ambassadors to be friends with us. We had lunch at PasoSport, the typical restaurant where we had lunch when we arrived and after graduation. I had sorrentinos, pastas filled with ham and cheese, in a mixed sauce. Then, Melina took us on our city tour. She really is one of my favorite people here, I wish she could be around us more often and not just working. She was saying things and then asking me if everyone understood her, it was so funny. We took some pictures by the River and at the Flag Monument (for those of you who don't know, the first flag ever in Argentina was hoisted here in my city, the National Flag Monument is here). Monday night my host mom made a chicken dish with pumpkin, it was good!
Yesterday was the first day of classes. I met with Marcos to figure out my readings and got started on some things I'll be researching. I'm really excited for the work I'm going to be doing! Last night we had chicken again in a white sauce with sweet and mashed potatoes mixed together, it was really good. For dessert we had a banana with dulce de leche on it! Then we went to O'Connell's for a drink! I was so happy to be back at my favorite bar here. It definitely wasn't the same as before, but it was still fun. Today I didn't have class but went to UCEL to meet everyone and we went to Club de Milanesa for lunch! Milanesa is a fine filet, of chicken usually, and this place has all these different ways of preparing it! Milanesa napolitana is with marinara sauce, cheese, and ham. Americana has bacon, cheese, and egg. There's different cheese ones like mozzarella or caprese, they're all so delicious. Then I had to go make photocopies of my book and then Shelby, Addi and I met up with Pau for merienda, snack! I don't like coffee, ever, but here it tastes different and I actually don't mind it!! For dinner tonight Mama Maria made pizza, it was SO delicious! We had homemade applesauce for dessert, too. I have some reading to do so I'm not sure if I'm going out tonight but I'm sure now that my laptop is charged I'll be updating you all more frequently! For now, I'll leave you with some pictures....
Breakfast with Pau & Belu


Newell's Old Boys stadium!


Everyone at the River


Flag Monument!


The group:)


One of my favorite places!

No comments:

Post a Comment