Monday, May 26, 2014

Packing Do's and Don'ts

As usual, waiting until the last minute to pack is my thing. I leave Wednesday and I am SO excited! I know I have some friends out there studying abroad for the summer and in the fall so here are some things to consider when packing. Most of the time, whether it is for five weeks or 6 months, you can only bring one suitcase. Putting your life in one suitcase is NOT easy, trust me. Here are some things that I have found work well.


  • DO pack many different shirts. I have probably 10-12 cute shirts that I will pair with cardigans and scarves for classes but will also be able to wear when we're out in the city or go to a boliche.
  • DON'T pack an outfit for every single day. That is just not realistic. If you have to wear that top with those pants only, don't bring them! Unless you plan on wearing it multiple times it's just not worth it. 
  • If you have medications, DO keep them in your original container or get a doctor's note to have with you. The problem is not leaving the country, it's coming back into the USA.
  • DO purchase travel sized things for your carry on. When we were stranded in Peru in 2012 all I wanted was to do was brush my teeth for HOURS but my toothpaste was in my luggage. I just recently went to the Christmas Tree Shops where they have a whole section of travel sized everything. It was amazing. 
  • DO find out what types of food they have in the country where you are going to see if they don't have something you will miss. For example, I will definitely be packing a whole jar of peanut butter because I could not find any ANYWHERE in Argentina last time. 
  • DO dress for the weather. In Argentina it will be winter. While the average temperature for the month of June is in the 60's, it's cold to them. As soon as it hits 60 here, the West Chester University students are tanning in the quad and wearing shorts and tank tops to class even if it's still cold! I plan on packing many fashion scarves to wear since my fellow Argentineans will be chilly and I want to fit in. 
  • DON'T pack so many shoes. Honestly, I have more shoes than the normal person but honestly? Whatever reason you are giving yourself to pack them, nope. Bring comfortable shoes. A pair of sneakers because you will do a lot of walking through museums and parks and doing touristy things. I will also be bringing my sperry's because I can wear them for hours waitressing and not have my feet hurt after. I will probably also bring one pair of boots because I always wore them walking to classes at WCU so I know I can walk to UCEL in them. 
  • DO bring slippers. People never take of their shoes in houses in Argentina, don't ask me why. The first thing I do when I come home to my parent's house or walk into my apartment in West Chester is take off my shoes. Bring slippers abroad so that you can walk from your bedroom to the bathroom without having to put on sneakers or uggs or whatever else you choose to bring. 
And finally for now, because I love you all I am telling you this....DO NOT be that person I make fun of in the airport for having too much stuff. If you are in your house and you can't carry your luggage and carry on/purse to the car by yourself you're doing it wrong. You're gonna be going to the airport with this stuff, probably traveling on busses and or trains when you are abroad. Mom & Dad aren't gonna be there to carry your luggage so save yourself from looking like an idiot and learn to carry it all yourself!!!

I highly doubt this is all the things I recommend but it's all I've got for now since I have to drive to my apartment in West Chester to get some clothes that I forgot there!

No comments:

Post a Comment